Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Masters

So you've graduated from college, great!  Now what?!  

Well, for me, the obvious choice was to start seminary.  I have gone into seminary stressing that I am working on a masters degree.  I know that I am preparing for ministry, but I get really irritated when people forget that I am, indeed, working on a masters degree.  

I have to admit though, I've been struggling.  I have been talking to a good friend of mine who is also working on her masters.  She started at the same time I am, and is taking fewer classes at a time than I am, yet she will graduate almost two full years before me.  The same will go for my husband if he chooses a masters program.  I know that I am working on a degree that entails the care of persons' souls, but why should my degree take so long?  

The practical answer, I have found, is that for most masters you are required to have a related undergraduate degree, and that is not the case for most seminaries.  I am just having a hard time because my undergraduate degree was related, and most of these classes are repetitive for me (so far).  

I don't know where this post was really going, but it is something that I struggling with at this point in time.  

No comments: