Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Week in the Life - Thursday

8 a.m. - alarm goes off. I snooze... loaf... linger...

9 a.m. - arrive at office. Thursdays are the day that the UMW sorts for their rummage sale, so I know there is coffee. I open up the office and then head downstairs to "make the rounds" (AKA, small talk over coffee).

9:30 a.m. - I have a blissful day of no appointments, lunches, coffees, meetings. I make good progress on my to-do list. I learned how to better manipulate our database software, but other than that, it is email, brainstorming, reading, studying...

1:30 p.m. - Head home for a little bit. It is a beautiful day, and I'd love to get some extra steps this afternoon. Lola, G (he took a little time off) and I walk the neighborhood. We cross paths with the pastor of the United Methodist Church in our neighborhood. I suspect he's hunting coffee... I can spot an addict a mile away.

5:45 p.m. - TurboKick! My favorite time of the week.

6:35 p.m. - I have to duck out of class early. I have a speaking engagement at 7:30 p.m. to prep for.

7:00 p.m. - Arrive at my speaking engagement... at the nursing home... Please don't laugh. So the drama of the night is that they can't get into the conference room (which limits attendance), and so they'll need to meet in the auditorium. The normal 20 people is now 30. I love it.

7:45 p.m. - By the time relocating the walkers and wheelchairs happens, the 7:30 conversation group gets underway. I'm there to lecture about millenials, the church, and the decline of American religion (their title, not mine). It is great conversation, minus the one person who declares that we (American Christians) are at war with Islam.

8:45 p.m. - Formal conversation ends, and I do the usual dance of meeting people and answering their lingering questions. Highlight though? A 90 year old widower from my previous congregation was there, and he hard charges for me after the talk to brag about his new iPhone. Awesome.

(A week in the life is a blog series I'm writing to share what a normal week in the life of this pastor looks like. I serve as the Minister of Discipleship and Mission at King Avenue UMC in Columbus, Ohio.) 

No comments: